Top 5 Windows and Microsoft Store Trends Every Developer Should Know
We are excited to share the latest version of the Windows and Microsoft Store trends page – a trusted source for hardware and Microsoft Store aggregated population data. This data provides you with insights to help you make development and business decisions as you build and update your Windows apps. Below are some highlights from the data. We encourage you to visit the trends page to draw your own insights.
Windows 10 adoption
Windows 10 is now on more than 600 million monthly active devices, ranging from Xbox One consoles, tablets, laptops, Windows Mixed Reality headsets and more. We’ve also introduced Windows 10 with S mode, which delivers users predictable performance and quality through apps available in the Microsoft Store.
With Windows 10 adoption growing and the introduction of S mode, there’s never been a better time to build for Windows and distribute via the Microsoft Store.
Top 5 trends
- There are more than 600M monthly active devices using Windows 10.
- For apps, the “Entertainment” category is the leader in overall percentage of downloads and revenue worldwide.
- For games, the “Action and adventure” category is the front-runner for overall percentage of revenue and downloads worldwide.
- For apps, nearly 2/3 of the overall revenue mix on Microsoft Store comes from download-to-own (DTO) products.
- For games, nearly 2/3 of the overall revenue mix on Microsoft Store comes from add-ons or in-app purchases (IAP).
Visit the Windows and Microsoft Store trends page to draw your own insights as you look to modernize and update your existing Windows apps or build new Windows apps.